with John Shealy, PhD & Jordan Dye, MSW, CSW
A New 3-session Program Offered at Supreme Peace Yoga & Wellness
• Origin of this program: Intrigued by the many benefits of mindfulness, even seasoned meditators often ask, "How do I bring mindfulness into my intimate relationship?" People experience how mindfulness helps us connect with the present moment and our highest intentions as well as enhancing overall lifestyle. But many have yet to experience how mindfulness can deepen and transform their most important relationship. This question may be coming up for you, and if you are currently in a committed relationship, maybe for your partner. The purpose of the program is to enrich our communication patterns and deepen our connection with our partners. This program will provide an overview of the complex inner workings of interpersonal relationships, our "social engagement system." Through mindfulness exercises we will bring focused awareness to communication, to the intention behind words and actions, and to the patterns and habits underlying them. Bringing these to awareness through gentle and compassionate curosity, we will begin to explore ways to clarify and adjust communication to match our highest intentions. Over the course of the program you'll also develop the skill of mindfulness, which can continue to enhance our actions, decisions and relationships over our lifespan.
Perhaps you're single and are seeking effective tools to help establish and maintain a rewarding, intimate relationship. With mindfulness, we can avoid going down the same painful and frustrating path that we may have traveled several times already but have been unable to recognize before we were already in over our heads. Some basic understanding combined with mindful intention, frees us from our old conditioned patterns and allows us to choose our next partner from our healthy, integrated self.
Partnered or single, engaged in this dance of relationship or about to leap out into the dating world again, Jordan and I invite you to join us for this transformative program. It would be wonderful if your partner joins you but much good can come to your relationship even if you come alone. You can always share the materials with your partner and you can read through them and perhaps begin to meditate together. Also know that the magic of mindfulness is that you can't help but share it with everyone in our circle, your cultivated inner peace and equanimity will shine out to them and they will be warmed by it.
In facilitating this program, Jordan and I will draw from a number of relationship researchers and therapists including, Sue Johnson, John Gottman, David Schnarch. You will be provided some reading and video materials about these theories and will be encouraged to study only as much as you like. The daily "homeplay" mindfulness practices combined with the in-class experiential exercises and group and dyad processes provide the critical keys for understanding the "relationship dance." By investing only a few hours a week, you'll get a general idea of research findings (what works and what doesn't) and how this understanding can be applied to establishing and maintaining healthy relationships. All the while, you will be cultivating the core skills of mindfulness: a settled and concentrated mind, ability to attend to the present moment without reactivity while taking a broader, more open and curious perspective on the many challenges of relationships and of life in general.
• This rewarding experiential program draws from the core elements of our traditional Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction programs. Previous meditation experience isn't necessary. If you have an established meditation practice, all the better. You'll be starting a few laps ahead but we'll all end up at a similar place. We will get a taste of the basic meditation instructions found in all MBSR programs - sitting, walking, eating, QiGong, Hatha Yoga, etc. and add other modalities such as insight dialogue and partner yoga, practices which are unique to our relationship programs.
In summary, this program is designed for anyone interested in bringing the power of mindfulness into their intimate relationships, those already engaged in an intimate relationship and anyone sailing in the often rough seas of the dating world. If you have questions of whether this program is a good fit for you, please drop us a note.
• Location: We feel blessed to be able to offer this exciting program in our neighborhood at the lovely Supreme Peace Yoga & Wellness Studio, which is located at 343 West Kenwood Way, Louisville, KY 40214 (just off Southern Parkway, 1/2 mile south of the Watterson, in the Beechmont Neighborhood near Iroquois Park) Click here for Directions
• Dates and Time: We will be meeting on three consecutive Sunday afternoons, April 9, 16, and 23, from 2 to 4 pm. We'll have light refreshments following our classes to give us all time to gently transition back into our "regular life" while bringing the mindful skills we are learning together into our everyday mix.
• Materials: As with our traditional MBSR programs, you will be provided weekly readings, YouTube videos, a collection of 8 or 10 guided meditations, QiGong and yoga recordings and daily practice suggestions to tie the program together. You'll learn about these supports for your relationship, practice them at home and refine them in our next session.
About the Facilitators: John Shealy, PhD, and Jordan Dye, MSW, CSW, are a married couple who together have over 45 years of experience practicing and teaching mindfulness meditation. John is a licensed psychologist, Jordan, a certified social worker. They currently practice Integral Mondo Zen, are both trained yoga instructors and live a healthy, balanced lifestyle. The safe, respectful, peaceful space they hold for each other and for the group provides a container for establishing a daily meditation practice while promoting personal and relationship growth.
• Class size: Due to the experiential nature of this program, class size will be limited to 30 participants.
• Fee: As with our other Mindfulness Training programs, you choose from within the range of payment options: $200 down to $120 each. You set your own fee based upon your financial situation with a minimum of $120 per person. Know that your generosity allows others who are less fortunate to participate in this powerful program. Partial scholarships and payment plans are available - drop John a note if you would like to explore these options.
Registration: When you make your payment, you will have begun the registration process and we will hold a space for you and will follow up to get any information we may need. There are two options for making your payment/register:
• Mail your check (made payable to "John Shealy") along with your email address, cell number and home address with a note stating that you are joining the Partnering workshop at Surpreme Peace Yoga to: John Shealy, 535 Forum Ave., Louisville, KY 40214
• Credit Card payment: click on the Pay Pal logo below and follow the instructions. In a few minutes I will receive notice from PayPal of your payment with your name and email address. We will send you an email asking for your full name, cell phone number and mailing address (if we don't have these already).
After we receive your payment, we'll send you an email confirming your registration and a week or so before the workshop begins, we will send out information about what to bring and a link to the recorded guided meditations...
Many Blessings to you and yours,
John & Jordan
If you have any questions, email John or call him at 502 727 2996.